[microformats-discuss] profiles- resolved

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Fri Jul 15 17:43:58 PDT 2005

Our discussion around profiles is going in circles.

Let me end the thread here (and give Tantek a chance to catch up on
the discussion :)). Please give xmdp and profiles a break until
Tantek is caught up- we have plenty of other things to discuss
(resumes, anyone? geo, anyone? blog comments, anyone?)

Here's a summary of xmdp, profile stuff, which I hope should clear up
misconceptions:

1. Microformats should be a profile URI. Not all of them do yet (this
is due to the 24-hours-in-a-day problem- http://james.lab6.com/
2003/09/16/24hours/).

2. The profile URI could be a URL that resolves to an XMDP.

3. Profiles should probably be reference-able outside of the <head
profile="...">

<link rel="profile" .../> was proposed by Tantek and Eric Meyer at
WWW2005 (or was it 2004?).

Likewise, <a rel="profile" ...></a> has been proposed and accepted as
a suggestion.

Please see http://microformats.org/wiki/xmdp-brainstorming

4. Please read the info on xmdp at gmpg.org (http://gmpg.org/xmdp)
and ask questions if there's anything you don't understand. I'll let
Tantek explain more.

Again, this discussion has become non-productive- the signal-to-noise
ratio has gone way down. Let's just take a break.

-ryan