[microformats-discuss] Visible metadata

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Sun Jul 24 22:55:57 PDT 2005

On Jul 24, 2005, at 6:03 PM, Robert Bachmann wrote:
> Ryan King wrote:
>> As many have noticed, the <abbr> for date/time gets reused alot...so,
>> I think it could stand to be refactored out into its own elemental
>> microformat. What do you think?
>
> I think every date/time on the web should be expressed using
> <abbr title="YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM">...</abbr>.

I would agree, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. :)

Remember, we're not telling anyone what they should do- we're just
trying to provide tools for them to accomplish their goals (and
semantic markup is a meaningful goal for many).

> Ryan, you once pointed me to http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-
> time.html
> and I learned that ISO8601 even allows you to specify your time
> zone, so
> a plugin could even translate the time provided to the user's regional
> timezone.

Yes, ISO8601 allows you to specify a timezone offset (you can see
that in action in my hcalendar creator [http://theryanking.com/
microformats/hcalendar-creator.html]).

-ryan