[microformats-discuss] International date formats

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Mon Jul 25 09:57:50 PDT 2005

I also like the idea of a elemental microformat (nanoformat?) for dates.

I presume the official designation would be an "ISO_8601" date in the
title, but the 'recommended' practice would be, with a space and
timezone:

> <abbr title="YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM[:SS]+-Z">

Of course, Robert (unintentionally, I suspect) raised another point:

> But with <abbr title="2004-02-07T22:30">02/07/2005 11:30 pm</abbr>, I
> simply move the mouse cursor over it and my browser will display the
> date in an unambiguous notation.

Alas, "unambiguous" is an unfortunate term: is that 2004 or 2005?
That is the price of multiple representations; unfortunately, I can't
think of any way around it.   Ideally I suspect a parser should use
in the human-readable date as normative, if it could read it, but
that leads to inconsistent results. :-(

-- Ernie P.