[microformats-discuss] International date formats

Sam Deane lists at elegantchaos.com
Tue Jul 26 18:02:58 PDT 2005

>> I do think there's something wrong from a user interface point of
>> view with having to roll over a date to get a tool-tip, just to see
>> the locally formatted date.
>
> No such requirement has been made.

Someone suggested it though - I was merely commenting on the suggestion.

> One of the principles of microformats is to adapt to current
> behaviors, and
> *minimize* the changes we ask of publishers, in order to lower the
> barrier
> to adoption as much as possible.

Fair enough. Personally I think you can remain true to that principle
whilst giving good advice about how to use the microformat. I was
talking about recommendations not requirements. Perhaps even
"recommend" is too strong a word though.

>> but there are also lots of cases where the exact
>> representation chosen doesn't matter very much,
>>

> I've yet to see this actually.  From a human readability
> standpoint, the
> visible representation is very important.

With relative dates, and dates in general in pure prose, I think you
are right. But there are plenty of places where lists of dates are
presented on the web (event lists or search results for example), and
places where dates are displayed as meta-data tagging some prose
(creation and modification dates on blog posts for example). In these
cases the choice of representation often appears to be arbitrary and
parochial, and it wouldn't do any harm to make people aware of the
issues.