[microformats-discuss] Re:ratings

Peter Jones soundrater at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 04:38:23 PDT 2005

Ryan King <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:

> I think I've just realized what you're trying to
> accomplish here. It appears you're trying to figure
> out a way to apply tags (with a rating) to an
> external resource.

Yes, that's right - sorry if I failed to make this
clear from the start.

> If so, have you looked at xFolk
> [http://microformats.org/wiki/xfolk] ?

If xFolk is the way to achieve this objective then
great. I presume it is anticipated that xFolk would be
combined with the rating part of hReview to do this.

Also,Tantek Ç elik wrote:

> Ideally systems shouldn't bother the user with the
> underlying format(s).

> In other words, the user is rating something or
> reviewing it, rather than "writing an hReview".

Yes, I accept this point that the user shouldn't be
concerned with the underlying format(s). Ideally there
is an underlying format in which the data can be
simply encoded.

> Do you have a specific use case or example you
> can point to?

I was thinking of trying to avoid the whole review
writing process by limiting myself to a number of
ratings against criteria (or what I was calling tags).
If the criteria are well chosen this could capture the
essence of a resource and enable its discovery. I was
looking for a ratings microformat that could encode
this info (rating, criteria, resource url).

I've cobbled an example together at
http://soundrater.blogspot.com in the posting dated
Thursday, July 28, 2005.

Regards,