[microformats-discuss] A 10 line script to identify and process any microformat

Bud Gibson bud at thecommunityengine.com
Thu Jul 28 16:06:13 PDT 2005

Dear all:

I've been inspired by various microformat scripting efforts (in
particular George Hotelling's) and have come up with a 10 line
greasemonkey script that can identify and process any microformatted
content.  You can access the script here:

http://thecommunityengine.com/resources/xfolk-colorize.user.js

The key insight in the script is to use XPath to identify the
microformatted content.  I provide an explanation of how to modify my
XPath selector to work with your favorite microformat here:

http://thecommunityengine.com/home/archives/2005/07/greasemonkey_mi.html

under the heading:

"How xfolk-colorize works"

It really is as simple as my subject line indicates.  Of course, you
may want to do rather more complex things with your microformat than
what I have done, so your final script may be longer.  My goal in
writing this was to provide a very simple, clear example.  I
apologize if the rest of the blog post is a little long-winded.  I
tend to pontificate.

Bud