[microformats-discuss] Are microformats "data-first"?

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Fri Jul 29 10:19:28 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm still trying to get my head around the "zen" of microformats.  In
that vein, I really appreciated this post (hat tip to Sam Ruby) about
"Data First vs. Structure First"

http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/linotype/news/93/

> Some people find the act of categorizing and abstracting natural
> and rewarding, others find it frustrating and unnecessary. The
> problem with information technologies is that computer programmers
> are likely to fall in the first category and users of such programs
> are likely to fall into the second one.
> Data First strategies have higher usability efficiency (all rest
> being equal) than Structure First strategies.
> On a local time-scale and once established, "Structure First"
> systems are more efficient.
>
> we all know that a complete mess is not a very good way to find
> stuff, so "data first" has to imply "structure later" to be able to
> achieve any useful capacity to manage information. Here is where
> things broke down in the past: not many believed that useful
> structures could emerge out of collected data.
>
> But look around now: the examples of 'data emergence' are
> multiplying and we use them every day. Google's PageRank, Amazon's
> co-shopping, Citeseer's co-citation, del.icio.us and Flickr co-
> tagging, Clusty clustering, these are all examples of systems that
> try to make structure emerge from data, instead of imposing the
> structure and pretend that people fill it up with data.

In other words, microformats seem to explicitly embody a "data-first
-- but enable emergent structure later" philosophy, which is why it
is both attractive and annoying to the traditional XML crowd.

Is that a fair statement?
-- Ernie P.