[microformats-discuss] Shouldn't hCard use <address>?

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sat Jun 25 09:06:04 PDT 2005

The short answer about <address> is:

1. Yes it is more semantic, but

2. It is *too* specifically semantic for most hCard uses.

The poorly named <address> really means <contact-info-for-this-web-page>

So it only makes sense to use <address> for an hCard *IF* that hCard
represents the contact information for the page.  Hence the usage on my
blog.

Another way of saying this:

Every <address> on a page SHOULD be an hCard.

But not every hCard should be an <address>

I think this question has come up often enough (and I've seen it on some
blogs too) that it deserves top billing in the hcard-faq.  Just created:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-faq

Thanks,

Tantek