[uf-discuss] Formating Code

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 09:11:06 PST 2005

On 02/11/05, Jacob Ham <hakejam at gmail.com> wrote:
> How could we tell the difference between languages that are white
> spaced sensitive, and ones that are not?  Some languages would need
> <pre> and some would not.  How human readable is:
>
> <pre>
>     <code>
>     blah
>     </code>
> </pre>
>
> compaired to:
>
> <code class="Python">
> </code>

These two examples mean different things. You have to remember that
outside of <pre> tags, User Agents can just throw whitespace away (or,
more technically, reduce any whitespcace to a single space). Now, we
can't have that within code excerpts, so we need a tag to tell the UA
that this whitespace has meaning: it's not just there for human
readability.

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net