[uf-discuss] Microformat Encoding Thoughts

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Nov 4 03:57:33 PST 2005

On 11/3/05 7:48 PM, "Brian Suda" <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:

> So that would find 'en-us' and 'en-gb' and 'en-foo-bar'.
>
> The advantage to this form would be to allow for a more flexible
> second-hyphen-term. The idea was kicked around in hCard to mark-up the
> TEL attribute. So this would be valid class="tel-work" or
> class="tel-home" or unknown x-params class="tel-voip" or
> class="tel-skype".

Brian,

Not only did we discuss this general approach and reject it a while ago for
several reasons for hCard(including the one Brian brought up of not being
explicit enough), but we found that it simply failed when we worked through
several actual examples (e.g. the examples in RFC 2426).  Thus instead we
found it made much more sense to have the type of phone number be visible
information, and simply use class="type" to mark it up.  This method also
reduced the size of the class name vocabulary considerably.

Thanks,

Tantek