[uf-discuss] Hello / Semantically-Interlinked Online Communities (SIOC)

John Breslin john.breslin at deri.org
Mon Nov 7 05:06:23 PST 2005

Hi all -

I've just joined the list.  My name is John and I'm a researcher in the
area of the Semantic Web and social software in DERI Galway, Ireland.

I met Ryan King in July, and talked about our SIOC
(Semantically-Interconnected Online Communities) project and connections
to Microformats.  Basically, what SIOC is is an open specification for
describing communities using online discussion forums or blogs, leading
to what some may term "distributed conversations".  At the moment,
online communities are islands that are not interlinked, and the SIOC
ontology has been proposed to not only link these communities but to
leverage data in ways that were previously unknown.

I'd be interested in hearing how you think SIOC could be represented
using new / existing Microformats.  For example, I think using
rel="sioc:reply_of/has_reply" (similar to the rel="tag" from Technorati)
in HTML would be a useful way to connect discussion posts between blogs,
forums, mailing lists etc. as trackbacks at the moment are often not
explicitly defined in both directions and are also limited to blogs.
Another example is that using rel="sioc:has_container" in posts would be
a useful way to create a distributed discussion channel across existing
discussion media.

The initial version of our SIOC specification has been drafted.  It can
be used in on its own (having a complete set of terms) or in conjunction
with other RDF formats such as RSS 1.  In terms of producing metadata,
we've started with SIOC exporters for open-source discussion systems
such as WordPress and Drupal / CivicSpace, and more are on the way.
We're also currently engaged in better aligning SIOC with FOAF (Hi
danbri!) as there are some redundant / duplicate terms in SIOC.

More info is available from:

http://rdfs.org/sioc/

While there are many (useful) classes and properties in SIOC, it can
essentially be boiled down to: Users create Posts that are contained in
Forums that are hosted on Sites, e.g.

   Site -> host_of -> Forum -> container_of -> Post -> has_creator -> User

Posts have reply Posts, and Forums can be parents of other Forums.

Looking forward to your feedback,

Thanks,

John.

--