[uf-discuss] Microformat expansion engine

Cris Perdue cris at perdues.com
Mon Nov 7 18:35:19 PST 2005

Hi,

Members of this community might be interested in the first release of a
client-side engine that can expand the HTML of certain classes of
microformats.  My application for this has been to experiment with
describing the intended formatting of pages concisely where real-world
CSS is not able to do the job alone.  The designer can write the page
using design-oriented microformats that expand before being presented to
the end user.  The idea is to further improve the cleanliness of the
HTML source code for pages beyond what we can accomplish currently with
CSS. The engine could also be used to help generate the display for
semantic microformats such as hcard, hcalendar, etc..

I am calling this use of microformats "macroformats" with the intention
to indicate that the engine will macro-expand the HTML source code -- to
indicate that it allows definition of "microformat macros".

More detailed information, several examples, and an implementation are at:

http://perdues.com/mformats/macroformats.html

Regards,
Cris Perdue