[uf-discuss] Hello / Semantically-Interlinked Online Communities (SIOC)

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 03:24:27 PST 2005

On 11/8/05, Karl Dubost <karl at w3.org> wrote:

> May I disagree but in a gentle way ;) More pushing forward than
> disagreeing in fact. I think microformats as HTML are not author
> friendly. The only way to make that _really_ friendly is to have
> template engines to edit the content and not see the source code. For
> example, the good thing when I use my Address Book application is
> that I don't have to view the coding behind. Binary, XML, whatever is
> the encoding is not my issue, as long as I can type in these little
> form the information.

Yep, I think this is a fair point (again in a gentle way ;-)

HTML may be a lot easier to hand-author for many people than other
formats, but that isn't saying much. As a counter-example, to
implement SIOC support on my blog all I had to do was drop in a PHP
file [1], and it just works [2]. Without something like the templating
Karl suggests, the "human-friendly" argument for microformats isn't
very strong. But hopefully it will only be a short time before we do
see good tool support.

Chers,
Danny.

[1] http://rdfs.org/sioc/wordpress