[uf-discuss] xdmp profiles not enough for parsing?

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Wed Nov 16 08:24:55 PST 2005

Hi Tantek,

On Nov 16, 2005, at 7:57 AM, Tantek Çelik wrote:
> The conclusion was, in practice, complete automatic generic
> parsability is
> futile, and thus not worth pursuing, in XMDP or any other schema like
> language.

I'll buy that, but that doesn't mean that we can't do *better*, right?

I like David's suggestion that we try to identify what additional
semantics _might_ make it *easier* to write the current generation of
parsers.   It may not be completely general, but that doesn't mean it
wouldn't be useful, right?

I agree that we'll probably never have enough for a completely
general automatic parser, but hopefully we can at least make it
easier on human parser-writers...

-- Ernie P.