[uf-discuss] Formatting of Movie Credits information

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Nov 16 18:01:24 PST 2005

Robert,

First of all, welcome to the list!  Great to have you here.

Clearly you have already read up on quite a bit of the material at
microformats.org and elsewhere.

In short, it is certainly possible to use XMDP to describe the set of rels,
clases, ids that you use in your own documents.  There is nothing wrong with
that at all, in fact, it could be quite handy for an XMDP-enabled validator
to check to see if you are only using rels, classes, and ids which are
defined as a way of keeping track of your site's information architecture.

The difference between simply providing a descriptive XMDP, and a
microformat standard is whether or not you need/want your content to be
consumed and published by a variety of different people, applications etc.

If not, that is, if you just want to describe and define your class names
etc. in a bit more detail, then go ahead and write your own XMDP and
reference it in the head of the document.

If however, that you *do* want the info to be in a "standard" format which
interoperates with other applications, sites, services etc., then the best
thing to do is start with the process page which Chris pointed to.

For movie info in particular, I would say a "Movie" is definitely a type of
"media" as described in the media-metadata-examples page.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/media-metadata-examples

For information about a movie, that's probably the right place to start.
Note that that page definitely needs some work in terms of the process, but
it starts with interested folks joining up to do so.

Thanks,

Tantek