[uf-discuss] Avatar Microformat ?

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Nov 24 01:51:30 PST 2005

On 11/23/05 11:05 PM, "Charles Iliya Krempeaux" <supercanadian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a Micformat for specifying a user's Avatars?

Could you be more specific about what you mean by an "Avatar"?

Perhaps providing a URL to an example or two would help.

> Anyone working
> on one?  (A Microformat where a user could specify a list of avatars
> that one uses would be preferable.)

If you're speaking of Gravatars for example, then hCard already solves this
problem, as it provides the key pieces: url, email, fn, logo.

> (I didn't find anything in the wiki about one.)

Try the search box in the left column of the wiki.

When I search the wiki for "Avatar", I found it on one page:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/blog-post-formats

Which only discussed an example of an existing blog post format that uses an
"Avatar" which *could* use hCard.

But you're right.  We should at least provide a place to answer questions
like "how would I represent X", where X can potentially be represented using
an existing microformat.

I've added Gravatars and a few other applications to a new section on the
hCard spec.

http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard#Additional_Applications

Thanks,

Tantek