[uf-discuss] Avatar Microformat ?

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 12:19:27 PST 2005

My first reaction was also to simply use vCard. The question then
becomes whether you can have multiple photo fields in one hCard... per
the vCard spec.

Additionally, I worry that in terms of the 80-20 rule, most people
will not have many avatars and therefore a single representation in
your hCard would be sufficient.

Microformats are for general purpose use, like flour and sugar. Using
them you can build things as interesting as pizza or as simple as
bread. However, a microformat for pizza would probably be
inappropriate or not worth standardizing since its fundamental
ingredients can be broken down further into more atomic units.

Avatars are simply hCard photos -- pulling out a specific avatar may
be one of those cases which the microformats process would dictate
that we stick to the basics... and not worry too much about edge
cases.

Chris