[uf-discuss] hCa* CATEGORIES as TAGS

Luke Arno luke.arno at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 09:51:18 PST 2005

On 11/22/05, Brian Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have recently been working on an internal search spider.
> Specifically to index pages with microformat content and to aggrigate
> them. (nothing akin to the Google Base).
>
> My question is this: Can we consider the property CATEGORIES inside a
> vCard and/or iCalendar file, equivalent to a rel="tag"? or should we?

I am going to say yes.

In fact, tags == categories == labels == etc...

All of these name various attributes of things. There
may be something more implied by a particular
term under a given scheme. A given scheme may
be flat or hierarchical or faceted. Also the implication
that "category" implies grouping and hierarchy is
misleading. Categories could be arranged flatly and
contain one item each.

What I am getting out of the other messages in this
thread that rightly point out the benefits of having
"categories" to arrange navigation and "tags" to
attach free-form metadata is this: it is useful to
have more than one scheme. That is something
that I really like about using a URL in relTag and
category tags in Atom.

<category term="some-foo" label="Some Foo"
     scheme="http://lukearno.com/tags/" />
<category term="news" label="Latest News"
     scheme="http://lukearno.com/categories/" />

    >Some Foo</a>
    >Latest News</a>

- Luke