[uf-discuss] Avatar Microformat ?

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 14:26:22 PST 2005

Hello,

On 11/24/05, Ryan King <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > On 11/24/05, Chris Messina <chris.messina at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> My first reaction was also to simply use vCard. The question then
> >> becomes whether you can have multiple photo fields in one hCard...
> >> per
> >> the vCard spec.
> >
> > I don't know if a vCard would be the best way to go for this.  (Maybe
> > something more basic that a vCard could make use of.)
>
> Remember, you don't have to use everything from the vCard vocabulary
> when using hCard.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the name -- "fn" -- mandatory for
an hCard.  Which would make it so you'd always have to list the
person's name whenever you display their avatars.

> > Consider the blogging sites that teenagers tend to use.  (Like myspace
> > or nexopia.)  They typically have "picures" loaded into there (on the
> > user's profile page)... like a gallery... that don't have anything to
> > do with contact info or anything like that.  These images are often
> > used as avatars.
> >
> >> Additionally, I worry that in terms of the 80-20 rule, most people
> >> will not have many avatars and therefore a single representation in
> >> your hCard would be sufficient.
> >
> > I've found that most people have alot of avatars and change them quite
> > often.  It seems to be especially common amoung those from "generation
> > Y" and younger.  And as these people get older, this will become more
> > common.
> >
> > I terms of the demographic I'm interested in, most the people in this
> > "younger demographic" do have multiple avatars; and they tend to
> > change them quite alot.
> >
> >> Microformats are for general purpose use, like flour and sugar. Using
> >> them you can build things as interesting as pizza or as simple as
> >> bread. However, a microformat for pizza would probably be
> >> inappropriate or not worth standardizing since its fundamental
> >> ingredients can be broken down further into more atomic units.
> >
> > Agreed, but I think an "avatar" microformat is pretty basic.  It could
> > be a simple as something like rel-avatar.
> >
> >> Avatars are simply hCard photos --
> >
> > I disagree.  In fact, I'd say that hCards could use an avatar
> > microformat for it's photo.
>
> I disagree, I think the PHOTO (or LOGO) property work fine for this
> use case.

I'd agree with this if hCards allowed for multiple PHOTO's or LOGO's.
So, from my perspective, the question comes down to: does an hCard
support mutiple PHOTO's or LOGO's?  (My understanding so far is that
they don't.  But please correct me if I'm wrong.)

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

    charles @ reptile.ca