[uf-discuss] format for identifiers?

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 09:54:18 PST 2005

On 11/28/05, David Osolkowski <qidydl at gmail.com> wrote:

An identifier isn't useful if you can't
> determine what is being identified.

Er, that's not actually the case. If you can identify (/name)
something you can say things about it. Indeed by saying things about
it you can often determine what is being identified.

e.g. I create an identifier for something:

tag:pragmatron.org,2005:xyz

I can then say stuff about the thing identified (Turtle syntax,
omitting namespace decl.):

tag:pragmatron.org,2005:xyz pet:likes "dark places" .

( i.e. whatever it is likes dark places)

Already useful, SPARQL query:

?x pet:likes "dark places" .
(i.e. what in the world likes dark places?)

result, the statement above.

But as yet you don't know much about what's being identified. Here's a bit more:

tag:pragmatron.org,2005:xyz foaf:name "Eric" .
tag:pragmatron.org,2005:xyz pet:species pet:Hedgehog .
tag:pragmatron.org,2005:xyz pet:fedBy _:person .
_person foaf:name "Danny Ayers".

Cheers,
Danny.

--