tags and searching (was Re: [uf-discuss] Greetings microformatters)

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 13:04:00 PST 2005

Hmm, seems you have the model on its head... Shouldn't the wisdom of
the crowd, all linking to a site and tagging it a certain way provide
potentially better authority (since altogether the self-interest
motivator would be lessened via distribution) than a sole author
identifying itself?

That is, while I can use metatags (dead as they are) to describe my
site, I think that the spam factor has proven the value of internal
metadata on a site is much less than the tags provided from without.
Or at least, that's technorati's bet (presumably).

I guess I wonder how your proposal plays out when you really get into
the messiness of the web.... it sounds like you want something top
down but IME, you really have to design for utter chaos. Does your
model account for that?

Chris