[uf-discuss] Non-HTTP/HTML microformats

Luke Kanies luke at madstop.com
Wed Nov 30 14:19:34 PST 2005

Hi all,

I am seeking to do something similar to microformats but for completely
unrelated uses.  I do open source sysadmin development, and I want to create
a bunch of microformats to model the chunks of data that different sysadmin
tools pass around.  For instance, I need to centrally manage log messages,
metric data, alerts, and quite a few other things.

The key differences here between what I want to do and what microformats is
doing is that I am not using HTTP or HTML (mine will probably end up being
as transport-agnostic as possible, with Jabber being the first
implementation) and this data is meant to be consumed by other software, not
by humans (in most cases, humans will never even know the data exists).

Our mutual interests are divergent enough that I'm not convinced there's
enough common ground to make collaboration worth it, and I think that I
might have needs (like the ability to easily create custom formats) that
won't work well within the current Microformats goals.

Does it make sense to try to work within the Microformats structure to
create these formats?

Thanks,
Luke

--
Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
-- A. H. Weiler