[microformats-discuss] XHTML tables as CSV-like "records"?

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Sun Oct 2 11:33:38 PDT 2005

On Oct 2, 2005, at 10:48 AM, Brian Suda wrote:

> In Tantek's talks he mentions XHTML Compounds. This does not exactly
> provide itself for one of those, but the talk also discusses some of
> the lesser know attributes already build into tables, such as AXIS,
> HEADER, COLGROUP, ROWGROUP, ID, etc[1]. Even some of the regular
> elements, TBODY, TH, etc. These already have some semantic meaning, so
> a new microformat might not be needed for this application? it all
> depends exactly what you want to do with it? you could simple write an
> XMDP using pre-exisiting attributes instead of trying to overload the
> CLASS attribute when there is something semantically better.
>
> [1] - http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html

I second that- there's a lot of semantic table markup to explore[1].

Ernie, in your particular case, I think you've already captured most
of the semantics. A table, is by definition a list of records, so
this fits well with what you're trying to do.

-ryan

1. I attribute this gap in our practice to the fact that we're still
recovering from presentational tables.