[microformats-discuss] Re: Educationg Others

Lisa Rein lisa at lisarein.com
Mon Oct 3 22:31:49 PDT 2005

Hi guys,

In my opinion, Scott brings up a lot of good points.

Of particular concern to me is the use of the "rel" link attribute
containing the value "tag."

"rel" and "rev" are specified specifically for directional linking.
These are the values allowed withing that link attribute:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/types.html#type-links

Other values are allowed if they are defined with a Profile:

"Authors may wish to define additional link types not described in this
specification. If they do so, they should use a profile to cite the
conventions used to define the link types. Please see the profile
attribute of the HEAD element for more details."

yet the microformat method doesn't seem to use that either.
(unless there is are profiles defined somewhere that I am unaware of -
which is possible, since I'm new to the microformat space :)

Here's is more information from the HTML 4.01 spec about the use of the
"rel" attribute and directional linking:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/links.html#h-12.3.1

So, if I am not mistaken, the microformat technique is not XHTML compliant.

Thanks in advance for clarifying the situation if I have misunderstood
something :-)

thanks!

lisa