[microformats-discuss] abbr-design-pattern

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 10 13:57:00 PDT 2005

On 10/10/05 1:47 PM, "Ryan King" <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:

> From http://microformats.org/wiki/abbr-design-pattern:
>
>> *abbr-design-pattern should be avoided, if possible. RobertBachmann
>> **why, or under what circumstances? For example, it is quite useful
>> with datetimes. Should there not be other potentially analogous
>> situations? DavidJanes
>
> I'm curious- why do you say this, Robert?

I actually would tend to agree (despite coming up with the technique), but
would phrase it differently.

abbr-design-pattern should be used only when absolutely necessary to
distinguish the human readable text from the computer readable data.

And the reason being to better follow the DRY principle.

This is typical for date time related information, and some keyword values
(e.g. "type" values in hCard properties), but little else.

Thanks,

Tantek