[microformats-discuss] XHTML "id" attribute and microformats, particularly hCard

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Sun Oct 16 14:03:04 PDT 2005

On Oct 16, 2005, at 10:40 AM, David Janes -- BlogMatrix wrote:

> I'm thinking off the "id" field as something really quite
> independent of the UID, or in fact, really of hCard (and also
> hCalendar, and probably other microformats in the future). It's
> meaning is functional -- it allows us to address data on the
> internet by the HTTP protocol, that is, by a URL (as opposed to a
> URN, which is more how the UID would function)

UIDs in hC[ard | alendar] are purely functioinal, too - a rough, from
memory quote - they are there to "assit applications in ordering of
events."

Also, on a related topic, the issue of missing UIDs came up in IRC
the other evening and the issues have been document in http://
microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-issues.

-ryan
--