[microformats-discuss] When we say "XHTML" do we mean...

Robert Bachmann rbach at rbach.priv.at
Mon Oct 17 08:37:39 PDT 2005

Ryan Tomayko wrote:
> ... application/xhtml+xml type XHTML, or
> XHTML-looking-markup-that-people-will-serve-as-text/html-and-will-not-contain-namespace-information-90%-of-the-time
> type XHTML? I'm just wondering how liberal implementors are planning on
> making their parsers and whether XHTML is going to be considered by
> implementors as a MUST or a SHOULD.

As IE6 doesn't support application/xhtml+xml most of the XHTML pages I
know are served with the MIME type text/html. So it wouldn't be very
wise to require "application/xhtml+xml".

IMO it should be enough to require well-formed XHTML which is sent as
text/html OR application/xhtml+xml.

Robert
--
Robert Bachmann <rbach at rbach.priv.at> (OpenPGP KeyID: 0x4A5CCF10)