[microformats-discuss] RFC: Thoughts on Video and Audio Microformats

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Mon Oct 17 18:12:14 PDT 2005

Hi Charles,

Well, you certainly get a creativity point for finding a use for 'urn':

> The HTML anchor element has a urn attribute (which as far as I
> know, no one ever really used). We can use this to bind anchors --
> <a> tags -- together; to show that they link to the same thing.

That's certainly something I've wondered about -- how to optimally
group together alternates.  The problem, though, is that this doesn't
give any way to discriminate between the various choices, since all
we know is that they're nominally identical..

There's a fairly common pattern of presenting multiple
representations of the same document, but I don't if we've settled on
the optimal one.  I'm still leaning towards something like:

<ol class="pickOne">
<li class="default"><a href="http://blah/1.mov"><abbr
abbr></a></li>
</ol>

That is, use "pickOne" to indicate a choice, "default" to indicate
the preferred, and abbr's "title" for a numeric size indicator
(preferably bytes).

Does that make sense? Lisa, have you found anything better?

-- Ernie P.