[microformats-discuss] RFC: Thoughts on Video and Audio Microformats

David Janes -- BlogMatrix davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Tue Oct 18 04:00:08 PDT 2005

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
>> The "class" attribute and the "title" attribute imply absolutely no
>> semantics (as far as I know).
>
> Um, not quite.  Let me try to explain, though Tantek or Ryan could
> probably do better.  First of all, you *are* correct in that the
> preferred method is to reuse *existing* HTML semantics; the URN trick
> is rather clever, I must admit.

To build on this a little, the "class" and "title" attributes do not
imply semantics or meaning any more than any other string of characters
does. The microformats community/process/standards *defines* certain
"class"es and "title"s to have meaning in certain contexts.

As Ernie implies elsewhere, the semantic meaning should be fairly clear
because the tendency is to pick names that have real meaning, either
from existing standards or from real live usage on the web.

As mentioned in my previous message, "urn" will not work unless you're
willing to sacrifice XHTML/HTML 4.01 compliance.

Regards, etc...
David
http://www.blogmatrix.com