[microformats-discuss] REX! Re: REST-discuss list, naming

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Fri Oct 21 10:39:01 PDT 2005

Hi Dimitri et al,

On Oct 21, 2005, at 7:29 AM, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:
> Finally, while this is related to microformats, I think there are
> quite a few things that are seem to be outside of the realm. For
> instance, DrErnie and I debated whether sample REST server
> architectures belong on the Wiki or the list.

I think there are actually two different issues at stake.   To
Stephen's point, one aspect of this really is simply how to encode
REST information inside XHTML, which is a valid topic for microformats.

There's a secondary point about what a REST server should internally
do with such data, which I suspect is outside the scope of this
group, and might fit better on the REST wiki:

http://rest.blueoxen.net/

To Stephen's point:
> The reasons why I went with 'REST Enabled XHTML':
>   - it's short, punchy and clear -- no hyphens, no ambiguous or
> jargony words, easy to remember
>   - it captures 'point of view' -- people will start with XHTML,
> and REX allows them to use REST too, hence the XHTML is 'REST
> enabled' for them

I agree with his second point, though I dispute his first.  REST and
XHTML aren't jargon? :-)
More importantly, the grammarian in me really needs that hyphen.
Without it, we have a "subject-verb-object" sentence, versus an
"adjective-noun" title. So, I at least intend to continue calling the
*encoding* scheme:

	REX: REST-Enabled XHTML

and use that as the basis of my future documents.   Others are more
than welcome to use alternate names for an derivatives/alternatives
they create, but as Stephen says this captures *my* "point of view,"
so I'm going to declare victory and move on...

--- Ernie P.