[microformats-discuss] Microformats Zen Garden

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Fri Oct 21 16:46:36 PDT 2005

On Oct 21, 2005, at 1:13 PM, Scott Reynen wrote:

> Robert Bachmann wrote:
>> Kevin Lawver wrote:
>>> Do we really want to emulate the zen garden?  It's great at
>>> showing what
>>> CSS is good at: styling markup.  The real power of it is that it
>>> shows
>>> off what you can do with CSS without changing markup.  I'm not
>>> sure that
>>> works for microformats...  does it?
>> Time will tell ;-)
>>

> I imagine the primary benefit of this will not be CSS styling of
> microformatted content, but rather JavaScript applications built
> upon the data, e.g. a dynamic address book application using hCard
> data.

Exactly. :D

> This is what microformats are good at: pulling structured data out
> of web sites to make it more useful.  But the CSS Zen Garden's
> basic model still applies with one single static XHTML file (or
> maybe one per microformat) repurposed with external files.

Here's the general idea, unless someone has an objectsion:

1. Publish some static html in several scenarios. Possible scenarios:
     * list of contacts
     * list of events
     * ...
2. Have people write CSS and Javascript to do cool stuff on top of
it. In the case of a list of contacts, someone could build something
that looked and behaved like a desktop addressbook (minus the
persitence, since all they have is a static file).

3. Showcase people's implementations.

We can, of course, run this on microformats.org. I can help with
those logistics, when the time comes.

-ryan

--
Ryan King