proposal: new list: microformats-rest (was Re: [microformats-discuss] REX! Re: REST-discuss list, naming)

Tantek Ç elik tantek at
Fri Oct 21 17:20:36 PDT 2005

I've mostly stayed out of this excellent discussion.

>From everything that I can tell, Ernie has essentially discovered a whole
new world that can benefit from use of microformats.

I'd like to see this discussion continue and grow, and I have a feeling that
we can as many discussions about microformats and REST as we can about usage
of microformats for content on web pages.

The microformats-discuss list has a very broad membership, and while a
high-percentage are I'm sure following the microformats and REST discussion
quite well, there's also other folks here who would probably focus more on
the content / data format aspects of microformats, and the styling aspects.

So what do people think of creating a new list, microformats-rest,
specifically for the discussions about microformats and REST?

P.S. Before we first created microformats-discuss, we thought of perhaps
creating separate lists for each microformat, for focussed discussions.  But
then we realized that perhaps that would be overkill, and how would we know
which topics/microformats would be "popular" enough to warrant their own
lists?  We decided to just start with one, and then let the market decide.
When enough focused discussion around a particular topic emerged, and if we
believed the discussion would grow on an ongoing basis (rather than just
being a "popping" phenomenon), we would simply create a list for it.

microformats-rest seems to fit that criteria.