[microformats-discuss] FYI: two posting about the Semantic Web, the "SynWeb", scraping and microformats

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 09:43:10 PDT 2005

Thanks for the pointage David!

They're long posts, I could probably summarise the microformats bits as:

- microformats are useful whether or not you subscribe to the
Semantic Web vision*
- microformats are _especially_ useful if you employ Semantic Web
technologies, as there's an existing framework in which the data can
be exploited (RDF)
- scraper-like techniques for extracting explicit data from docs are
on the rise...
- ...but if you use microformats (done right), essentially you'll be
deterministically serializing/parsing standard formats, not scraping,
there isn't the same fragility
- all of this good for the Web

* there is a big difference between SW the vision and SW technologies.
The latter can be useful without bothering about the former (but it is
a bonus). If you look at the SW stack, an old diagram of which is
copied at [1], then microformats pretty much *are* SW technologies.

Anyhow I thought Phil's analysis got a lot of things right, and he
highlighted a lot of key issues. Naturally I also disagreed with half
of it...but it took me half the morning to say which half. Time better
spent coding? I dunno.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://dannyayers.com/2005/09/cake.gif