[microformats-discuss] FYI: two posting about the Semantic Web, the "SynWeb", scraping and microformats

Christopher St John ckstjohn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 01:09:52 PDT 2005

On 10/25/05, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie at opendarwin.org> wrote:
> My point is rather that I would prefer the Google Maps Web Service
> API <http://www.google.com/apis/maps/> to be trivially discoverable
> by using the Google Maps HTML front-end <http://www.google.com/lochp?
> hl=en&tab=wl&q=>, rather than being a completely different service
> using XML or RDF. That's all.

I'm reading this as a preference for the API to be RESTian, apologies
and please ignore if I've misread...

I've used the Google maps API and would disagree strongly that a
simple RESTian front-end would make a good replacement. The API
is actually a fairly complex chunk of Javascript that does more than
just ask for a particular map. If nothing else, I suspect URL length
limitations would kick in well before you ran out of relevant
parameters.

SOAP (or XML-RPC, or whatever regular-old-RPC mechanism you
want to pick) really is better for some things.  Maybe a couple of
anti-patterns would be appropriate?

-cks

-----
Christopher St. John