[uf-discuss] Profile aliasing

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Oct 25 17:32:27 PDT 2005

On 10/25/05 3:35 PM, "brian suda" <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was working on this idea last night, so i'll put in my two cents.
>
> XMDPs don't have to be used solely for a microformats,

Given that XMDP predates microformats, that's certainly true ;)

> i think that they
> can be used to give more sematics to any given page. So i started to
> create on for my own personal site, putting in things like
> class="initialism | numerism" on abbr elements and adding that into the
> XMDP for further descriptions.
>
> <dl class="class">
> <dt id='initialism'>Initialism</dt>
>  <dd>A type of abbriviation were each letter of the term is spoken
> instead of pronounced. For Example, FBI, CIA and NSA</dd>
> </dl>

See http://tantek.com/log/2003/01.html (yes 2003) for an actual use of this
kind and the respective profile linked from the <head>:
http://tantek.com/log/2003/profile.html

Not the prettiest / best use of XMDP, but as a *very* early
real-world-use/experiment, it's perhaps useful as an example for
deconstruction/analysis (you can see the origins of XFN in that profile).
Note that I didn't carry it forward to 2004/ or 2005/ , mostly because I
started using the "official" XFN profile URL, and split off the class names
into a separate profile: http://tantek.com/log/2003/classprofile.html which
I *also* didn't carry forward because I started to rethink how I was using
class names and categories etc.

Thanks,

Tantek