[uf-discuss] transit schedule microformat

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Oct 25 23:36:47 PDT 2005

On 10/24/05 11:37 PM, "Kevin Marks" <kmarks at technorati.com> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Danny Ayers wrote:
>
>> Take a train timetable. Would you prefer 1000 human-readable HTML
>> pages detailing the journeys, or just a form with fields for start and
>> destination, a machine to do the searching for you?
>
> That's actually an interesting and practical question. I ride Caltrain
> every day, and what I have bookmarked is not the interactive timetable:
>
> http://transit.511.org/tripplanner/index.asp
>
> But the tabular version here (which does use <th> sensibly):
>
> http://caltrain.com/timetable_effective_10_10_05.html
>
> This could benefit from a microformat markover (using classes instead
> of colours;

Kevin is essentially asking for a microformat for transit-tables.  Makes a
lot of sense to me.  It would certainly be *very* useful for travelers if
the websites of various transit systems world-wide were accessible /
re-usable because they used a common microformat.

Very well:  http://microformats.org/wiki/transit-table-examples

> Of course what I really want is a Tuftesque timeline grid, and if I
> could parse the table more easily, I'd code one up.

Added as a future thought to the above wiki page.

Thanks,

Tantek