[uf-discuss] like that in xFolk?

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Wed Oct 26 16:31:49 PDT 2005

Hi Tantek,

On Oct 26, 2005, at 4:18 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:
> On 10/26/05 3:30 PM, "Dr. Ernie Prabhakar" <drernie at opendarwin.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Charles,
>> On Oct 26, 2005, at 3:21 PM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
>>
>>> So,... I guess what I am saying is that a "rating" Microformat is
>>> good.  But we need something simpler for marking something as being
>>> pornographic.
>>
>> I think:
>>     <media:rating scheme="urn:mpaa">x</media:rating>
>
> Wait, Ernie, wasn't it you that was pushing for URLs over URIs?

Touche!  :-) I didn't say it was good, just close; which leads to...

>> is the closest and most widely understood equivalent.
>
> Um, by what definition of "closest" and/or "understood"?

Well, the concept of "X-rated" content is relatively well-understood
globally (compared to the others), but I just remembered that it is
an artificial term (not really MPAA).  To sure, I would of course
want it to be a URL a la:

http://www.mpaa.org/movieratings/content.htm

But, they don't provide good links for each definition. :-(

http://www.mpaa.org/movieratings/about/index.htm

The RIAA at least has a more coherent definition of their single-
valued term:

http://www.riaa.com/issues/parents/advisory.asp

>> Surely there must be a way to say something like that in xFolk?
>
> Since I'm not hearing Bud, here is a simple markup of the literal
> example
> given by Charles Iliya Krempeaux:

>  <a class="taggedlink" href="http://example.com/
> something">Something</a>
>  is <a rel="tag"
>        href="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/
> pornographic">pornographic</a>

Yeah, you're right that the term 'pornographic' is the better match
for this specific case.   However, if the poster was actually asking
if there was a general-purpose term that might get widespread
adoption on the web, I think we need something more general.

My suspicion is that the RSS/Atom community will probably standardize
on something first (since they'll mirror the issues that led movies,
TV, and records to get ratings), which hopefully will be something
simple, clear, and URL-based enough for us to reuse...

-- Ernie P.