[uf-discuss] Can singular sub-properties be mixed with parent property?

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Oct 27 15:53:22 PDT 2005

I just added hCard formatting to the contact info on my personal
website, and I came across some uncertainty about handling of
singular sub-properties.

My two actual cases were, class="org organization-name" and
class="tel value", both of which appear to be redundant on further
reading.  But is this kind of mixing of sub-properties with parent
properties in the same class list generally proper syntax for cases
where only one sub-property is used?  If, for example, I wanted to
indicate that I work in the espionage department, but not specify
which company I work for, would the following be okay?

Or if I only wanted to list my last name?

And while I'm at it, what if two sub-properties have the same value?
If one's name were "Rose Rose," could I do the following?

On another note, I didn't previously mention any type on my address,
but it was imported as a business address for some reason, so I
wanted to specify the type as home.  I don't see any way to do this
without adding information to my content, .e.g <span
class="type">Home</span>, which is what I did.  It's not a big deal
for me, but this is the first time I've needed to change the content
of a page in order to add a microformat, and I thought it might be
worth mentioning.

Peace,
Scott