[uf-discuss] Need a figure markup

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 09:46:31 PST 2005

The image properties that Opera provides didn't seem entirely useful.
Not like the Firefox extension anyway.

To Greg's point, there does seem to be some value in being able to
render or extract image metadata from images that contain that
information. FXIF looks awesome and has a lot of potential -- I wonder
what would be possible, for example, if Flock shipped with that built
in -- and what having that data might allow web developers or
extension designers to be able to accomplish.

Though I am all for visible metadata, if the photos contain this
information already, it might be possible, therefore, to start to
review this data with CSS:

img[exif="true"]:after {
  content: "Taken with a " attr(Manufacturer);
}

Or something like that. I can imagine some amazing Greasemonkey uses
for having data available like that, as well as fulfilling Eris'
one-time request when shopping for a camera: "show me photos taken
with these five prospective purchases".

So I guess I'll look to Tantek on this, since I know he's got browser
experience... is it the browser's place to pull in EXIF data and make
it available? I presume there are numerous security concerns around
doing so, but it would seem that the potential benefits (and personal
media revolution going on) suggest a great need for browsers to become
more multi-media friendly and aware.

Chris

P.S. We've strayed from the original figure discussion, but this is
still certainly a worthwhile thread!