[uf-discuss] Need a figure markup

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Sun Oct 30 11:05:30 PST 2005

On Oct 30, 2005, at 9:46 AM, Chris Messina wrote:

> The image properties that Opera provides didn't seem entirely useful.
> Not like the Firefox extension anyway.
>
> To Greg's point, there does seem to be some value in being able to
> render or extract image metadata from images that contain that
> information. FXIF looks awesome and has a lot of potential -- I wonder
> what would be possible, for example, if Flock shipped with that built
> in -- and what having that data might allow web developers or
> extension designers to be able to accomplish.
>
> Though I am all for visible metadata, if the photos contain this
> information already, it might be possible, therefore, to start to
> review this data with CSS:
>
> img[exif="true"]:after {
>   content: "Taken with a " attr(Manufacturer);
> }
>
> Or something like that. I can imagine some amazing Greasemonkey uses
> for having data available like that, as well as fulfilling Eris'
> one-time request when shopping for a camera: "show me photos taken
> with these five prospective purchases".
>
> So I guess I'll look to Tantek on this, since I know he's got browser
> experience... is it the browser's place to pull in EXIF data and make
> it available?

I think there's another question worth asking here, which will have a
more feasible answer:

What  can we do with the EXIF data that's already being rendered into
HTML? As Scott pointed out [http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/
microformats-discuss/2005-October/001772.html], there's already
people putting this stuff into HTML; is there any way we can make
this stuff explicit? Would it be worth doing?

-ryan

--
Ryan King
ryan at technorati.com