[microformats-discuss] Re: playlist microformat

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Sep 4 14:33:56 PDT 2005

On 9/3/05 3:07 PM, "Lucas Gonze" <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/3/05, Tantek Çelik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
>> Who's in?
>
> I'm in, of course.

Great!

> Can we spin off social software for this project?  Wikis are better as
> records of conversations or whiteboards than for working together on a
> shared purpose.

I think the steps we've outlined in the process document actually break down
the problem into the right steps.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/process

> And what are we building, anyway?  An XHTML version of media RSS?
> Sequences to render in time?  Musicbrainz expressed in h* rather than
> RDF?  A reblogging-friendly HTML template?

This is the whole point of creating the -examples, -formats, -brainstorming
documents in that order.  To answer those (and more) questions.

>> It might be interesting to add the XSPF field names to in a column in these
>> tables
>
> I added them to that page a while ago, though I think that the
> comparison tables are out of sync.

AFAIK, there is no XSPF column in the tables.

> As a general point, members of the XSPF group were extremely aware of
> the patterns and history of media metadata.

Could you provide URLS where those patterns and history are documented?

> The fields we chose

Could you provide URLs providing the decision-making behind the field-names?

> the
> details of our definitions, and our abstractions were very deliberate.

Great!  Then I'm very glad you are helping out with this.

>> (which perhaps need to be harmonized into one "media metadata
>> comparison" table, rather than one specific for podcasts, and one specific
>> for video):
>
> Or rather, factored.  Some aspects of media metadata are about
> types, others are about eCommerce.

Right, I believe that as well, and I expect to see more than one microformat
come out of this, since the effort of solving a *specific* problem, and
starting with the *simplest* solution that could work, will break this down
into smaller pieces.

Thanks,

Tantek