[microformats-discuss] microformats and semantic HTML best practices

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 16:25:31 PDT 2005

On 9/4/05, Bud Gibson <bud at thecommunityengine.com> wrote:
> Given my experience, microformats make DOM processing (e.g., screen
> scraping, ajax) applications dramatically simpler to write and more
> portable.  If you are doing DOM processing, then you should be using
> microformats, period.
>
> I'm a little less enthralled than many on the list with the idea that
> you should start with a community process.  I'd say research, create
> what you have to, see if it's useful, then go community as part of
> your marketing effort.

Agreed.

There are a bunch of handy tools in the microformats kit.  You should
apply them when problems arise that they are the right tool for.

>From my own focus on web standards for multimedia, the h* syntax is a
wonderful way to do a better job of supporting multimedia in the
browser.  For people having frustrating experiences at a standards
organization, The Process is a more streamlined way of working.  For
people with a semantic web background, the lowercase semantic web idea
is a neat way to apply semantic web concepts.

Your mileage will vary!