[microformats-discuss] microformat for messaging/chat

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 02:14:49 PDT 2005

Hi Greg,

Sounds a good idea.

On 9/16/05, Tantek Çelik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> IMHO think the "archive of (primarily) text-based chat" is a nice concrete
> specific problem (see principles) that it deserves its own "as simple as
> possible" solution.

Yep.

I had a quick skim for prior art around RDF because I vaguely remember
one or two people modelling IM/chat data in RDF (and things like blog
conversations - the ThreadsML stuff). But there's nothing much
immediately useful at SchemaWeb or the ESW Wiki, the usual starting
points for things like this.

But I did find Nabu:
[[
Nabu is a plugin for Jive Messenger, a server implementation of the
Jabber Instant Messaging protocol. It provides server-side logging of
chat conversations and related events. The logged data is stored in a
semantic graph, using the RDF W3C standard.
]]
http://nabu.opendfki.de/cgi-bin/trac.cgi

There's an RDF Schema:

http://nabu.opendfki.de/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/file/trunk/ontology/nabu.rdfs?rev=126&format=raw

Which is a lot clearer if you paste the URI into RDFS Explorer:

http://xml.mfd-consult.dk/ws/2003/01/rdfs/

Some other related stuff:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/InternetRelayChat

Cheers,