[microformats-discuss] adr and geo microformats finally written up

Mark Rickerby maetl at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Sep 28 03:43:06 PDT 2005

> I think "geo.position" was invented for http://geotags.com/geo/ about 5
> years ago. ICBM is (I think) quite a more recent invention.

ICBM is actually a throwback from very oldskool days of the internet
where the latitude and longitude coords were used for geographically
plotting usenet links (traditionally known as the 'missile address').

geo.position and geo.placename in meta tags is a more recent format
that was (i think) designed to be ICBM compatible (that is,
geo.position is a 1:1 mapping to ICBM). I'm not sure if they were
introduced by http://geourl.org/ , but you could be right on that.
That directory is definitely the main site propagating their
widespread usage.

eg, my location:

regards,
Mark