[uf-discuss] Some hcard feedback from a vCard implementor

Sam Roberts sroberts at uniserve.com
Tue Apr 4 12:06:03 PDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 01:42:15PM -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> On 4/4/06, Sam Roberts <sroberts at uniserve.com> wrote:
> [... snip ...]
> > - Don't make their mistake. Please put at least two examples in your
> >   spec: an organization, and an individual. And make them COMPLICATED.
> >   Two photos, a bunch of different kinds of addresses, real names
> >   (middle names, suffixes, etc.).
> >From a citation format perspective, I'd venture to say this is among
> the most difficult problems, so nice to see you sum it up for us.
> Middle names, BTW, are a rather mess in the real world (rather
> culturally-specific). Consider simple examples like "J. Edgard
> Hoover."

Yep, vCard's approach is to have N be the name, and FN be the formatted
name, so there's a backdoor for the creator to try and specify the
preferred format for their name:

  FN:J. Edgard Hoover

> And for more complicated examples, there's stuff like "Alexander von
> Humbolt" (the articular), and the prefix/suffix stuff.

How would german-language speakers think of that? Is the "von" always
used with the family name, or is only used to join family and given? So

  Herr Humbolt

  Herr von Humbolt

If the former, I don't know how that would fit into vCards, probably
it would have to be:

  FN:Alexander von Humbolt

And there are definitely address book apps that would present it to the
user base on N as "Alexander Humbolt".

If the latter, it could be

  FN:Alexander von Humbolt
  N:von Humbolt;Alexander;;Herr;

Definitely this would make a good example.