[uf-discuss] Some hcard feedback from a vCard implementor

brian suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 14:02:45 PDT 2006

Sam Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:38:36AM -0700, Ryan King wrote:
>

> You have a description on the wiki of deriving N from FN, which assumes
> things about the format of FN that are culturally specific (first names
> before last, for example), when the very absence of N is a violation of
> the vCard spec.
>
> It sure looked to me like the spec is describing how to do that which
> shouldn't be done. Maybe saying "we know its a bad idea" would be a good
> idea. I don't see why you have any rules at all.  Have you actually
> found non-conformant vCards in the wild that lack a N?

The spec itself says that N is required, then in the examples at the end
of the RFC, where the Authors mark-up their own identities in vCard,
omit the  N property.

>> I believe newer versions of AddressBook have fixed  this bug.
>>

> What bug? I didn't describe any bugs. Mangling utf-8 isn't a bug, how
> was AddressBook supposed to know utf-8 is my favorite character set?

In the APPLE Address Book, under preferences -> vCard you specify which
is your favourite encoding type. Even when UTF-8 was selected it mangled
the input. (I believe) this has been corrected in the newest version. I
am running 4.0.3 and it works for me - previous versions did not.