[uf-discuss] Some hcard feedback from a vCard implementor

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Tue Apr 4 17:31:30 PDT 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 7:14 PM, Ryan King wrote:

>> I wouldn't even now how to begin encoding a vCard as an hCard, and it
>> doesn't sound like there is any reason to. Would an hcard even exist,
>> standalone?
>
> Huh? "Would it exist on its own?" There are plenty of hCards that
> exist on their own, sans-vCards. See http://microformats.org/wiki/
> hcard#Examples_in_the_wild.

I think maybe Sam meant as a separate document, outside of a larger
XHTML document.  This isn't common use of hcard, but it's possible.
I do it in AJAX applications.

>>> Here's the main rule:
>>> "The basic format of hCard is to use vCard object/property names in
>>> lower-case for class names, and to map the nesting of vCard objects
>>> directly into nested XHTML elements."
>>
>> All the structured types (ADR, GEO, ORG,..) have names assigned to
>> what
>> are ';' seperated fields. The above rule would give:
>>
>> <JOE class="ORG">Company;Unit;Sub-Unit</JOE>
>
> No, you would use the names for the sub-properties, and lower-case
> the class names.

Right, those are listed here:

http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard#Property_List

And they are applied according to the general rule (as lower-case
class names).

Maybe we should have a "Where's the rest of the spec?" FAQ?  I expect
others coming from a background in XML formats rather than XHTML
could easily experience the same confusion Sam had.

Peace,
Scott