[uf-discuss] hcard noobie question

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Apr 5 16:21:29 PDT 2006

On Apr 5, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Nick Swan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> noobie hcard question here! Sorry!!!
>
> So I have my hcard I have created :

>  <a class="url fn" href="http://weblog.vb-tech.com/nick">Nick Swan</a>
>
> and I want to paste it into Ray Ozzies Live Clipboard demo.
>
> I can't though because the demo splits names up completely
> differently ie:
>
> For me to consume hcards this is ok as I can parse them many
> different ways to see which one works, but how am I supposed to
> know which format to copy the data in to be able to paste it
> somewhere else?
>
> I though the idea of hcard was to come up with a standard format?

It is, don't worry. :D

What you're encountering here is the implied-n-optimization [http://
microformats.org/wiki/hcard#Implied_.22n.22_Optimization]. In the
First example, you're using the optimization to express n (the
structured name). In the last example, the structure of n is
expressed explicitly.

Either method should work with a proper hcard parser.

/me goes back to writing hcard test cases. :D

-ryan
--
Ryan King
ryan at technorati.com