[uf-discuss] UID, URL, live microformats (was: Microformat auto-discovery WAS: Plazes & Microformats)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Apr 19 10:21:16 PDT 2006

On Apr 19, 2006, at 11:39 AM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> 2. Live Microformats.  This is the *really* interesting bit IMHO.
> As the
> Atom folks have explicitly designed with rel="self", when a chunk
> of data
> indicates where to get the latest version, you get self-contained
> syndication.  Even "static" copies of the data contain the
> necessary info to
> *subscribe* to an update of the data.

This is very interesting, and I think it could be a major bridge
between desktop and web applications.  But I'm a little worried about
the overhead of loading an entire HTML document just to check if a
single node within has changed since the last check.  If my address
book was doing daily update checks of every contact I have, that
would be a huge waste of bandwidth. And even more so if my calendar
application starts subscribing to each event individually.  Is there
some combination of HTTP headers that can be used to check if a
particular section of a document has changed before loading the whole
thing?  I'm not sure I understand how If-Range works, but that looks
close.

Peace,
Scott