[uf-discuss] hCard and Life Dates?

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Apr 19 12:37:58 PDT 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Timothy Gambell wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> How do I say "Albert Einstein (March 14, 1879 – April 18, 1955)"
> using hCard? Specifically, what is the best way of expressing a
> person's life dates?
>
> "bday" seems like an obvious choice for date of birth. Would adding
> a term like "dday" be appropriate for date of death?
>
> Or would it be better to use "dtstart" and "dtend" from hCalendar?
> This feels more elegant, except that "bday" is a more semantically
> precise than "dtstart".
>
> Or maybe some hybrid? perhaps class="bday dtstart" for birthday and
> class="dtend" for death date?

To go back to the beginning...

One option would be to use both. This may seem a bit convoluted, but
hopefully it can be illustrative of how microformats can be overlaid.

     (<abbr class="dtstart bday" title="1879-03-14">March 14, 1879</
abbr -
      <abbr class="dtend" title="1955-04-18">April 18, 1955</abbr>)

A couple notes:
1. Using vevent class name without a surrounding vcalendar class name
implies that the entire document is a vcalendar.
2. You could optionally add the class name ddady (or some other
semantic, meaninful class name) to the dtend property. (more
explanation at [1])

-ryan

1. http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2006-
April/003734.html